Monday, March 15, 2010

Super Rewards : Humor, Part 2

My son is in a serious transformer mode right now. He calls our Suburban "Optimus" and yellow  is "Bumblebee color".  A few weeks ago after church he ran off through the parking lot. I found him standing in front of a yellow mustang. I asked him what he was doing. He said "I'm just talking to Bumblebee."


My kids are learning a lot of words and phrases but they still struggle to get them just right. The other day my 8 year old daughter was wrestling with my 10 year old son. He suddenly cried out in pain. When I asked what happened, he said "She hit me in the crutch."


My 3 year old has reached the "kisses make it better" stage. A few days ago, he was whining about a random pain. I was busy and didn't really pay attention until I walked out of the room and heard his pleading cry "But mommy, you didn't kiss my butt!"


My six year old son had been struggling to read. One day we were going through a phonics workbook. On the "C" page, there were several rows of pictures and he was to choose the ones that started with the "C" sound. He had gotten most of them but did not choose the car. This surprised me because he is quite a car fan. After telling him that he had missed one, I pointed to several pictures and asked what they were and if they started with a "C". When I pointed to the car and asked if it started with a "C" he shook his head. Frustrated, I asked "What is that?!" Very calmly he replied "A green Ferrari."


After being overseas for many years, watching AFN (which is commercial-free) my kids have been thoroughly memorized by commercial advertising. Here are a few of the things they have said to me to show just how powerful those brief ads can be.
  1. My 9 year old son asked "Why aren't they showing that show I like anymore?" When I asked which one, he replied, "The one about the motorcycle insurance."
  2. My 7 year old son wanted to know if we could go to "that store that sells insurance." (Both of those are Progressive commercials. Whoever made car insurance interesting to children should get a serious bonus!)
  3. My 8 year old daughter asked if she could have those things that make your skirts twirl. I didn't have a clue what she was talking about. It turned out to be a tampon commercial!

No comments: