Saturday, November 13, 2010

Superwoman Book List, Part 2: Children's Books

I have been reviewing the stats of my blog and found that the book list and movie reviews are quite popular. I was thinking of writing more specific posts about these two topics.

Books can have a life-changing impact. The books we read as children are especially significant to forming us into the people we will become.

I recently wrote about the Berenstain Bears, which I definitely loved as a child and still love today. So I won't include those in this list. Here are a few books that I enjoyed as a child that still bounce around in my head.

1. Thornton, the Worrier by Marjorie Weinman Sharmat. This is a book about a rabbit that worries about everything. Then he meets someone who never worries at all. When I was a child I didn't think of myself as a worrier. As I have gotten older, especially since becoming a mother, I tend to worry more. When I feel too stressed, I think of this story. It reminds me to take things in stride.

2. Socks For Supper by Jack Kent. This is a sweet story about self-reliance. My mother used to read it often. She said it was the Church's Welfare Program in children's form. I liked this story as a child. As an adult, I cry every time I read it. It is so simple and yet so powerful.

3. Great Day For Up by Dr. Seuss. This is really the only Dr. Seuss book I liked as a child. I read Green Eggs and Ham and Hop on Pop but they were crazy! This one was cheerful and funny. My mom used to quote the first line to us when she woke us up..."The sun is up so up with you!"

4. Junk Day on Juniper Street by Lilian Moore. This basically "one man's trash is another man's treasure" in story form. But I have always liked it.

5. The Family Minus by Fernando Krahn. This is a silly story that fueled my imagination. My husband can blame this story for my love of clever names. (If I had my way our kids might well be called Fire and Federal!)


Here are a few children's books that I enjoy reading to my own children.

1. Fancy Nancy by Jane O'Connor. This is such a sweet book for little girls. I enjoy the whole series. So do my girls. It is so fun to "play" fancy Nancy with crazy scarves and ribbons and artificial flowers.

2. Click, Clack, Moo; Cows That Type by Doreen Cronin. A simple, funny story about animals on a farm. The kids and I love it. (This is also a series.)

3. Sylvester and the Magic Pebble by William Steig. This is the same author who wrote Shrek (which only vaguely resembles the movie) I found this story very touching. My kids think it is boring but I still like it.

4. Hand, Hand, Fingers, Thumb by Al Perkins. I loved this as a child. I can almost quote it. Which is good since my 2 year old wants to read it at least 10 times a day! But I still love the rhythm of the words. It is so fun to read!

5. I Wish That I Had Duck Feet  by Theo LeSieg. This was also a favorite from my childhood that my kids love. A fun story about creative thinking and self-acceptance.

6. A Bad Case of Stripes  by David Shannon. Also about self-acceptance. Very crazy for the kids eentertainment. And even though it is about a girl, my boys love it. (I think it is because of the gross things she turns into!)

7. The Gardener by Sarah Stewart. I first heard this story during a Relief Society meeting. It is a wonderful story about nurturing talents and making the best of bad situations.

8. Flotsam by David Wiesner. I love books by this author/artist. There are no words but amazing artwork.

No comments: