Saturday, March 10, 2012

Superpowers 101: Standing Firm and Immovable

Last Saturday I attended a Regional Relief Society Conference in Nashville. Several women from our ward attended although there were some conspicuous absences. It is always a disappointment to me when this happens. I know things come up. I have had to miss meetings and activities myself. I know I am missing out on something wonderful. That is why wish we could all go.

If I have to miss a church meeting I know that I would be there if I could. My heart is in the right place. I'm there in spirit. You know what I mean. This is important.  Not everyone feels this way.

When I heard about the meeting in Nashville, I wondered if I might see people I know who are not in my ward. Sure enough, there were familiar faces from other wards in the Clarksville area. Sitting right behind me was a sister who had lived in my ward when I was growing up. Shae and her family had moved to the Nashville area not long after I was married.

I wasn't really suprised to see any of these sisters, even the one from my childhood. They attend their meetings. They fulfill their callings. They "go about doing good".

I remember a quote (I don't know who said it) that when we get to heaven we will not be suprised by who is there. We will be suprised by who isn't.

I'm not saying that missing a church meeting or activity means damnation. But it is something to thinkin about, isn't it?

"For strait is the gate, and narrow the way that leadeth unto the exaltation and continuation of the lives, and few there be that find it, because ye receive me not in the world neither do ye know me. But if ye receive me in the world, then shall ye know me, and shall receive your exaltation; that where I am ye shall be also."D&C 132:22-23 (emphasis added)



"I say unto you, I would that ye should remember to retain the name written always in your hearts, that ye are not found on the left hand of God, but that ye hear and know the voice by which ye shall be called, and also, the name by which he shall call you. For how knoweth a man the master whom he has not served, and who is a stranger unto him, and is far from the thoughts and intents of his heart?...Therefore, I would that ye should be steadfast and immovable, always abounding in good works, that Christ, the Lord God Omnipotent, may seal you his, that you may be brought to heaven, that ye may have everlasting salvation and eternal life, through the wisdom, and power, and justice, and mercy of him who created all things, in heaven and in earth, who is God above all." Mosiah 5:12-15, emphasis added

1 comment:

Diann R. said...

I feel the same way. It makes me sad mostly because usually at those meetings the spirit is so strong and you come away so uplifted. I just wish that everyone could have that same experience and have a renewed conviction to continue on the path of righteous doing. =)