Sunday, October 28, 2012

Lessons From The Move, Part 3.1

I recently read a post called Mom Stays In The Picture by Allison Tate. It points out how often moms avoid pictures for, oh, so many reasons and explains how important it is that we mothers document our own efforts.

It really hit home for me. We have VERY few pictures of me. The kids have asked what I looked like when I was pregnant with them and I have nothing to show. We have a few hideous pictures from hospitals and other post-natal pics. My older kids used to try taking pictures of me and they are...very good for a 4 or 5-year-old.

My husband is not big on pictures but has tried from time to time. He invariably tries for candid...which means I have my mouth opened or my eyes closed or am in some other compromised position.

*Sigh.*

But this article really rang true for me. I had just embarked on a very touching journey into my photographic family history. You know what? I didn't look at a single picture and think "Look at her disgusting fatness!" Or "Oh my gosh, how many wrinkles does she have!"

Each one was a glimpse into the lives of real people who directly impacted my life by someting as unexciting as raising a child.  I was fascinated to see what they looked like, to see the houses in the back ground, the clothes they were wearing.

I felt so much gratitude for those women ( and the men, too!) who had made thousands of tiny choices to work, live, love, teach, guide, care for and otherwise be involved in the lives of their children day after day, year after year.

No comments: