Saturday, November 17, 2012

I'm Thankful For...#17

I am thankful for my car and my ability to drive it.

I did  not want to drive. I was TERRIFIED!!!!! that I would have an accident. It took serious pestering and threats to convince me. I finally accepted that I had to just grow up and do that hard things in life.

Then I went and failed my first driving test and the written test. :)

I did better the second time.

In college, I walked pretty much everywhere. Occasionally, I took the bus.

I also totaled my friends car. (It wasn't a super serious accident but still...)

A few years ago, I became friends with a young mother who did not have a drivers license. She had never driven in her life. Spending time with her helped me realize what a great blessing it is to be able to get from place to place. I didn't need to wait for a ride. I didn't need to rely on others. I could take my children to the doctor or visit their school whenever necessary. I was able to help others in need.

Any time I have car trouble I get very frustrated. I know I can find other ways of doing what I need to do. I have made adjustments when I needed to. But I see my freedom limited. I see my comforts lessened. Maybe I have to go shopping during the busy time of day because I have to wait for my husband to get home from work. Maybe I have to drop him off so I can keep the car. Once, he had to leave work and go to the school because I didn't have a way to get there.

And you know, in come countries it is illegal for women to drive!

So, anyway, I am thankful that I can drive.


(I don't know about the other drivers on the road with me though!)

No comments: