Thursday, October 13, 2011

Superpowers 101: Changing A Diaper

I have been meaning to write this for a while. I know that it might seem easy. I know that some of you are fairly experienced with diapering. Still, I thought I would share a few ideas that have worked for me to make this chore quick and simple.

Before I go on, let me remind you that I had 4 (FOUR!!!) children in diapers for about 6 months. So when I say this is the bare-bones, simplest way to do it, I know what I am talking about.

What you need:
1. a clean diaper
2. wipes
optional, only as needed: ointment, change of clothes, toy for distraction

What to do:
1. Lay the baby on the floor.
2. Open the clothes and move out of the way
3. Place clean diaper under the baby's bottom.
4. Open wipes and get one ready to use
5. Open the soiled diaper and clean as quickly as possible. If the diaper is "messy" use the diaper to wipe some of the "messy" off before using the wipe.
6. Remove soiled diaper and place to the side.
7. Close clean diaper, clothes, etc.
8. Close soiled diaper and throw away.

If the child is trying to help, distract them with a toy; something to keep their hands occupied. If there is a rash, apply ointments as needed.

That's it! I never liked changing tables. If I need to run get something I can leave them on the floor without worrying about them falling. (Although they might get stepped on if you have other children around!) I also found that there were really very few messes if I was fast. A diaper was just as good at absorbing an unexpected shower as anything else. A mat would need to be washed. A diaper could be thrown away.

What about the environment? Who cares?! Just kidding. I have come to realize that sometimes you have to make choices...like saving the world or saving your sanity! I choose to make my crazy life as simple and hassle-free as possible.

Happy Diapering!

No comments: